Welcome back to all. I hope the Half term break was relaxing and enjoyable.
Mrs Hodgson and the school musicians had a very busy Half term hosting the musicians from Melle. I would like to thank Mrs Hodgson on behalf of John Port, the students and parents for the amazing opportunity she provided in organizing this event. I would also like to give a huge thank you to parents who hosted the students from Melle. We all hope that despite changes to regulations regarding hoisting that the event will continue for many years.
Many students across the Academy entered the creative writing competition relating to the Remembrance Day last week. It gave me great pleasure to look and read all the entries and the prizewinners are listed below. Well done to all those who took part there were some really thought provoking pieces of writing.
- First Prize – Shalom in Year 11
- Second Prize – Asher in Year 8
- Third Prize – Evie in Year 7
Friday was Children in Need and the students all paid £1 to come to school out of uniform. The sixth form did a fantastic job of alternative fundraising ideas with a raffle, pie throwing (at students!) and a football match. The final total will be posted as soon as all funds are collected.
We are making changes to our Christmas Lunch this year. In the past students have been unable to sit and have a meal due to the extra time needed to have a full meal with all students seated inside. This Year we are staggering lunch so each year group will have their lunch with tutors at a set time. This will prevent the rush and enable all students to have a full Christmas meal if they wish. To enable the catering staff to plan and order the correct number of turkeys please order the meal on ParentMail. There will be no other lunches other than the Christmas lunch on that day so please provide sandwiches if students do not want Christmas lunch (vegetarian options are available)
- Turkey Crown – Turkey breast served with, sausage meat, red onion, sage stuffing & cranberries Accompanied with cranberry sauce (served with chipolata wrapped in bacon)
- Roast Gammon – infused Gammon, Served with a peach puree (served with chipolata wrapped in bacon)
- Vegetarian – Homemade Beetroot & Squash wellington
- Crispy roast paprika potato, Creamed potato
- Roast honey parsnips
- Citrus Baton Carrots
- Devilish red cabbage
- Sautéed Walnut & Brussel sprouts
- Meat or Vegetable gravy
- Christmas pudding & brandy flavoured sauce
- Chocolate log
- Traditional fruit trifle
The Year 11 mock examinations have gone really well and students have worked hard to revise for them. The Year 11 parents evening is on December 5th and will be an ideal opportunity to discuss the results with the teaching staff.
This is always a busy term so just a few reminders for coming dates
- November 21st PTA AGM
- November 29th Year 12 Parents Evening
- December 5th Year 11 Parents Evening
- December 12th Festive Jumper day and Christmas Lunch
- December 13th Festive concert
- December 18th Senior Prizegiving
Finally, I would like to apologise to our neighbours for the noise of our new siren which has been tested over the past few weeks. The siren is a stay safe siren and will only be used in the rare event that we need to alert the whole school to a situation. It is very loud, but is clearly needed on such a large site.