Year 9 Options
Our Year 9 students have reached the point in the year where they will be asked to decide which subjects they would like to study in Years 10 and 11. They will be asked to select their preferred option subjects to study alongside the core subjects English, Maths, Science and core PE.
Your child will be briefed on the options process in school and will also be given two booklets to help them make their choices:
- Year 9 – Helping You Choose Your Options for Years 10 and 11 [providing general adviceand information on how to select the most appropriate choices]
- Year 9 – Course Guide for Years 10 and 11 [providing a detailed description of each of theoption courses that the school hopes to be able to offer].
To enable you to help your child make the right choices, we would like to invite parents and students to the Year 9 Options Information Evening on Wednesday, 11th January, 2016. The evening opens at 4.30 pm and will consist of three identical presentations, giving an overview of the options process, in Chatsworth Hall. The timings of the presentations are detailed below – if the time allocated to your child’s form group is inconvenient to you, please attend an earlier/later presentation. There will also be the opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
- 5.00 pm – Forms J, O, H, N
- 5.45 pm – Forms P, R, T, S
- 6.30 pm – Forms C, L, E, W [please note that there will be no opportunity after this presentation to visit the Faculties/subject displays]
Teaching staff will be available and will happy to share details about the courses they deliver and answer any questions you/your child may have.
We hope the information provided will enable you to help your child make the most appropriate option choices to suit his/her needs.
When your child has made their preferred options choices, he/she should complete the Student Option Form 2017-18 [Year 10] enclosed within the ‘Helping you Choose your Options for Years 10 and 11’ booklet. This should be signed by both yourself and your child and, returned to your son/daughter’s form tutor by Friday, 20th January 2017.
You will have a further opportunity to discuss your son/daughter's option choices with a member of the Senior Leadership Team at the Year 9 Parents Evening on Wednesday, 8th February 2016, should you wish to do so. At this point your son's/daughter's option choices will be confirmed.