The responsibility for transport to and from the Academy rests with parents, however, free school transport is provided for some students. In such cases, it is the local authority who organise and are responsible for the provision of contracted services. A copy of the 2019 County Council transport timetable can be found here.
Parents who drop their child off / collect their child from the Academy are asked to drive and park carefully in the village. We encourage parents to use the gravel car park near the leisure centre.
The Academy has a secure cycle storage facility for any student wishing to cycle to and from the Academy. This facility is locked during the Academy day. Students are expected to wear a cycle helmet.
Students within the normal Academy catchment area entitled to free transport:
- Students entitled to free school transport are usually those who live within catchment area but in excess of three miles from the Academy.
- Applications for a school bus pass should be made electronically at the following address: www.derbyshire.gov.uk/get2school or via South Derbyshire Student Services (telephone: 01629 537479 or email: email@example.com).
- Please note that applications may take a number of weeks to process (during this period of time, responsibility for home-school transport lies with the parent/guardian).
- John Port Spencer Academy requires all students to follow a code of conduct to ensure the journeys to and from the Academy are safe and pleasant for all students.
- Transport provision for students in this category is the responsibility of Derbyshire County Council.
- Derbyshire County Council will inform both the parent and the Academy which bus a child has been allocated to and the child’s bus reference number – this reference number will then be printed on the student’s ID card, which also doubles as a bus pass. If your child has lost their ID card and needs a temporary bus pass so they can travel to/from the Academy, they should ask at the Ashbourne Student Services Office
- Students wishing to change their assigned bus should see go to the Ashbourne Student Services Office for further advice.
Staff are on duty in the bus park at the end of the Academy day. If your child has lost or forgotten their bus fare, they should see a member of staff who will call home to arrange alternative transport.